Friday, December 30, 2011

We Bought A Zoo /Rated PG/

Synopsis: Benjamin Mee (Matt Damon) is now a single father after his wife died six months ago, with his oldest son Dylan (Colin Ford) surprisingly getting expelled from his school, with his younger daughter Rosie (Maggie Elizabeth Jones) just trying to cheer him up. After a long talk with his skeptical brother Duncan (Thomas Haden Church) Benjamin decided to make a new start and move into a zoo! New things are occurring with not just the animals but with a growing relationship between Benjamin and the head zookeeper Kelly Foster (Scarlett Johansson) plus some other strong family issues with Dylan and Benjamin. Although just when things are looking great for opening up the zoo again a cruel, precise zoo inspector named Walter Farris (John Michael Higgins) is coming to take a look at the wildlife park, then things start to fall apart. Will everyone pull it together and pass the inspection, or will everyone including Benjamin and his family have to leave for good?

I give this movie out of a 1-10 scale a: 8: This movie was one of those rear films that was better than the book. I myself have not read the book by actually, the main character Benjamin Mee. Although my mom and some of her friends in her book club have, and in her opinion and from what she told me, it wasn't very interesting. Although movie was very good, in fact my mom said the movie was everything the book should have been which from what I heard, I agree. The casting choice was great from Matt Damon to Thomas Haden Church but really everyone did really well from an acting stand point. If you really dug into the film it was deep, very deep, it was one of those movies when you watch it, you totally think know the meaning, but then when you're laying in bed that night or driving home from the theater you realize what they were really trying to get across. I also loved some of the quotes, here's my favorite: "You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it,"- Benjamin Mee... I just love that, I also think they really stuck with that during a couple parts of the film. I also really enjoyed Maggie Elizabeth Jones and some of her lines and quotes. Some parts were emotional so be prepared for all of you who aren't the best with that kind of stuff. Although to conclude my review I really like the balance between some of the comedy, drama, and the heart of the film. I hope you take the time out of your schedule to come out and see the movie We Bought A Zoo! A fun comedy/family film for everyone, see Benjamin Mee's true story come to life on the big screen!

About the Stars: Matt Damon: Matt Damon has been in a number of movies and T.V. shows but he is best known for the movies Good Will Hunting from 1997, The Departed from 2006, The Bourne Ultimatum from 2007, and Inside Job from 2010! Matt also recently starred in a episode of Saturday Night Live where he was surprisingly a Handsome Drug Addict I guess, although really I have no idea what Saturday Night Live is. Although he was a great pick for the role of Benjamin Mee, I actually heard Ben Stiller was considered for the role of Benjamin Mee, that would have been really bad in my opinion.

About the Stars: Scarlett Johansson: Scarlett Johansson has not been in a lot of films but she recently was on an episode of Saturday Night Live which I mentioned before. Although out of the movies she has been in her most famous are Lost in Translation, The Prestige, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Iron Man 2! She was also in the Spongebob Squarepants Movie where she is the voice of Mindy who is King Neptune's daughter. It is also rumored she will be in Iron Man 3 as the same roles!

About the Stars: Thomas Haden Church: Surprisingly Thomas Haden Church has starred in one of my personal favorite films Spiderman 3! Where he is Flint Marko a.k.a. Sandman! I was intrigued when I saw him in We Bought A Zoo, his character was really funny. Anyway, Thomas has starred lots of movies including Easy A, Wings from 1990, and Sideways. Most of these movies I've never heard of, but I appreciate him as a great actor!

Check out this trailer!


2 comments:

  1. I love your review! It is spot on and nice job not giving the whole movie away. I love that you appreciate the layers of deepness about the movie. Keep up the great work! I loved this movie and have thought about it ever since we saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zach,

    Thanks for this review and saving me the time of not reading the book. Sounds the movie is, hands down, a better and more enjoyable use of my time.

    I did have one question I am curious about: can you provide some more details on why you think Ben Stiller would have been a crummy choice for the lead role?

    Best, Mark

    ReplyDelete