Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Smurfs /Rated PG/

Synopsis: Our little blue friends are back when evil wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) and his cat Azrael (voice: Frank Welker) chase Papa (voice: Jonathan Winters), Gutsy (Alan Cumming), Smurfette (voice: Katy Perry), Brainy (voice: Fred Armisen), Grouchy (voice: George Lopez), and Clumsy Smurf (voice: Anton Yelchin) into Central Park, New York City! When the Smurfs are trying to stay out of trouble they meet Patrick Winslow (Neil Patrick Harris) and his wife Grace Winslow (Jayma Mays) who agree to the Smurfs living in their home until Papa can find a way to get his family back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down. Although when another terrible crisis occurs the Smurfs along with Patrick and Grace continue to follow the code; no Smurf left behind. 

I give this movie out of a 1-10 scale a: 5: When this movie was about to come out I had never really seen the Smurfs show or comics and I didn't know much about them, although one day I was scrolling through On Demand on Top Picks when I saw episodes of the original Smurfs. So I watched the first few and I was hooked. After being excited for the movie and watching the episodes when I actually saw the movie, for me, it was a let down. I don't think the Smurfs in the movie were staying true to the characters from the television show and I am ninety percent sure from what I saw that they just made up Gutsy Smurf for the film. Although I did like some of the humor from Gargamel and Azrael occasionally but otherwise it wasn't that interesting. I did like the storyline and how it was all laid out plus I am a Neil Patrick Harris fan and I think he did a good job from an acting point of view. Also the cast was a very neat choice with Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, and I even remember Tim Gunn from the T.V. program on Lifetime, Project Runway. One of the few best things I liked about this movie was that it was part animated and with real people kind of like Avatar, although you can't really compare a five rated movie and a nine rated movie in the first place. Over all, in my opinion, I think this film would maybe be suitable for children at a younger age and all the Smurf fans across the United States!

About the Stars: Neil Patrick Harris: Neil Patrick Harris has been in a number of movies and mostly television shows including his most recent role as Barney Stinson in How I Met Your Mother on CBS, he has been on other popular shows such as Family Guy and Glee. He has also starred in many films including Starship Troopers, the Harold and Kumar films and many more. Also he was the voice of Prince Gumball in an episode of Adventure Time on Cartoon Network which most of the kids my age tend to watch.

About the Stars: Jayma Mays: Jayma Mays has been in surprisingly, very few films although she is in a well known show called Glee where she is Emma Pillsbury and she was on an episode of a show I have talked about many times before which is How I Met Your Mother. In the few movies she has been in she played the role of Amy in Paul Blart Mall Cop starring Kevin James which is funny to me and children my age. I think she was a intersting pick for her role in the Smurfs but all together she was pretty good.

Check out this trailer!


No comments:

Post a Comment